As farmers and ranchers pick up the pieces and work to rebuild in the wake of natural disasters like hurricanes, drought and wildfires, the financial, physical and emotional weight of navigating recovery can be overwhelming. Farm Aid is here to help.
Farm Aid created the Family Farm Disaster Fund to help farm families recover from weather-related disasters. Few businesses are as vulnerable to natural disasters as farms, where the loss of crops and livestock can also mean the loss of income for farm families for the year. Weather disasters can also damage houses, buildings and equipment that impact farms for years to come and deepen debt burdens for farm families. Additionally, the emotional toll of disasters often hit hardest after the immediate response period has ended, when farmers least expect it.
Are you a farmer dealing with disaster?
Would you like to donate to the Family Farm Disaster Fund?
Farm Aid helps family farmers through disasters by:
- Answering the 1-800-FARM-AID hotline. Farm families under extreme stress need a sympathetic ear—someone to listen and provide relief from the anxiety and desperation they may be experiencing.
- Providing emergency funds to farm families for family household and medical expenses. Coordinating with churches and farm service organizations operating in the disaster region, Farm Aid responds quickly to ensure that the money goes to farm families most in need.
- Connecting farmers to the legal and financial resources they need. The Farm Aid hotline not only offers emotional support, it also helps farmers understand their recovery options and provides referrals to farm support services through our extensive Farmer Resource Network. When farmers need help to avoid foreclosure due to losses from natural disasters, Farm Aid and our partners are there to help.
- Convening disaster recovery workshops and meetings that connect farmers with experts who know the intricate ins and outs of applying for available disaster assistance or that expand the capacity of farm service providers to support farmers in crisis.
- Advocating for needed disaster recovery funds and resources from federal & state governments.
Farm Aid has more than 30 years of experience responding immediately to family farmers in the face of disasters. Donations to the Family Farm Disaster Fund help Farm Aid directly address the needs of farms affected by weather disasters.
Current Disaster Response Efforts:
Hurricanes Harvey & Irma
Farmers and ranchers in Texas, Louisiana, Florida and surrounding states are dealing with the impact of record flooding and wind damage caused by Hurricanes Harvey & Irma.
While farmers have not been able to fully assess the damage Hurricanes Harvey & Irma have wreaked, we know the impacts are deep. Our long experience in responding to farmers who have experienced major natural disasters tells us that there will be a need for immediate emergency aid and mid- and long-term assistance. In addition to the financial loss caused by weather disasters, many farmers suffer the emotional toll of disasters long after floodwaters recede. Mental health services to support these farmers are critically important.