Farm Aid has run the Ask Farm Aid column since 2005 answering your questions about the issues affecting family farming and our food. (If you’re a longtime reader, you may remember it as Ask Laura or Ask Hilde.) It presents great information every month, but in this Putting it into Practice column we get to share the real-life experiences about the choices we all make as eaters every day. There are a lot of challenges in trying to eat good food while supporting family farmers, but I also see more opportunities now than ever before.
I haven’t spent as much time on farms as many of my colleagues and I didn’t get a degree in agriculture, so I’ve learned a lot during my time here and still have lots more to learn. But I do care about the food I eat and knowing where it comes from. If you’re reading this, you probably do too.
So, I’d love to hear the ways that you are putting it into practice.
- Have you made changes to the way you eat or shop to make sure family farmers will be there to grow food in the future?
- Are you growing your own herbs, shopping at the farmers market, or sharing the joys of a family farmer meal with your friends and family?
- What are the major challenges you face in putting it into practice?
- What topics would you like to see covered here?
- Read about the ways our Farmer Heroes Rosie and Ward Burroughs are ensuring their family farm will be sustainable for generations to come.
- Want to know more about how climate change is affecting family farmers and what they are doing about it? Find out in Ask Farm Aid.