Farm Aid Events
While our annual concert is certainly the highlight of our year, here are a few more ways where you can have fun and show your support for Farm Aid and family farmers!
Thursday, September 20
The 2nd National Meeting of Farm Advocates – 8:30am -7pm
Friday, September 21
Farm Aid Forum – Shale Gas Extraction & the Family Farm - 9am - 12pm
- Holiday Inn Harrisburg - East (4751 Lindle Road, Harrisburg, PA 17111)
- Join family farmers, advocates and community members to discuss a range of impacts, protections and organizing efforts for addressing unconventional natural gas extraction on their land or in their communities. Local and national experiences will be explored. This open educational session will be held at the Holiday Inn Harrisburg - East. RSVP required. Please email Alicia Harvie to RSVP.
Farm Tours - Depart at Noon
- Depart from Holiday Inn Harrisburg - East (4751 Lindle Road, Harrisburg, PA 17111)
- Learn from some of Pennsylvania’s agricultural trailblazers by joining one of two farm tours hosted by Farm Aid; one to the Rodale Institute Experimental Farm in Kutztown, PA and the other to Spiral Path Farm in Loysville, PA. Both farm tours depart promptly at 12 noon from the Holiday Inn Harrisburg – East. For more information and to register (required by September 14), visit www.farmaid.org/farmtours.
Farm Aid Eve – 6:00-8:00pm
Saturday, September 22
GMO Meeting at Farm Aid 2012 - 8:00 am - 11:30 am
- First United Methodist Church of Hershey - (64 West Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033)
- This open meeting between farmers, NGOs and scientists is designed to bring farmers up to date on the problems with GMO crops, the efforts at labeling GMOs and the current state of the science.
Below concert events take place at Hersheypark Stadium (100 W Hersheypark Dr, Hershey, PA 17033)
HOMEGROWN Village – Noon – 5:30pm
- Farm Aid is excited to house another lively HOMEGROWN Village on concert day—a space where concert goers enjoy interactive and experiential exhibits about soil, water, family farmers and good food! We look forward to seeing many of your exhibits there!
Farm Yard – Noon – 5:30pm
- The Farm Yard area will be available as a space where the general public can talk with family farmers and farm group staff. The Farm Yard will be located in the center of the HOMEGROWN Village area and banners will make it easy to find. We encourage you to use the space for small gatherings and discussions and mingle throughout the day.
A number of food and farm events are taking place surrounding this year's concert in Hershey, PA. Please refer to the listed websites for information on how to participate.
Mother Earth News Fair – September 21 - 23
- Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Seven Springs, PA
- A fun-filled, family-oriented sustainable lifestyle event. The Fair features practical, hands-on demos and workshops on topics like renewable energy, small-scale agriculture, livestock, gardening, green building, and natural health in addition to vendors of organic food and drink, books and magazines, tools, seeds, clothing and more.
Rodale Institute Organic Apple Fest – September 22, 10am - 5pm
- Rodale Institute's Organic Farm, Kutztown, PA.
- Bring the whole family to pick apples from the orchards, enjoy delicious organic treats and dance to great music. Experts will be on hand to answer your questions about growing fruit trees organically. Admission to the festival is free, parking is $5.00.
ART on the FARM at Dickinson College Farm - Sunday, September 23, 4pm - 8pm
5th Annual Bike Fresh Bike Local – Sunday, September 23
Western PA Local Food Month – All of September